Art lovers in Beaufort couldn’t be happier. There are many wonderful cultural activities to enjoy in this beautiful town in the fall and all year round.
There is something for everyone. Whether you’re a theater lover, painter, writer, reader, history buff, foodie, or art collector, Beaufort offers unlimited opportunities for enjoyment.
Let’s start with the Beaufort Annual Shrimp Festival because it’s coming up soon.
Everyone loves food, especially Southern food and especially shrimp.
In case you haven’t put the Beaufort Annual Shrimp Festival into your calendar, do it now. It’s happening on October 4 and 5 – and you sure don’t want to miss out on some of the most delicious shrimp dishes you will ever taste. Local restaurants are offering a variety of traditional southern foods for your feasting pleasure.
There is a Friday evening concert, a Saturday Run Forrest Run 5k run (or) walk, activities for kids, an arts and crafts fair and in the evening you can enjoy the sparkling lights of brightly decorated shrimp boats on the water.
Arts and Cultural Coolness
In 2005, writer John Villani recognized Beaufort as a cultural center in his book, The 100 Best Art Towns in America. The National Arts Administration, in its introduction of Villani’s book, wrote:
Small art towns have come to epitomize rural cultural coolness because who wouldn’t want to visit a lively, open-minded town. In this book you’ll find communities across the United States and Canada that are attracting a new wave of cultural tourists, immigrant artists, culturally minded retirees, art gallery owners, musicians, mobile career professionals, theater directors, restaurateurs, arts festival promoters and coffee bar entrepreneurs.
Beaufort SC has much to offer those who love Visual Arts. Paintings, sculpture, pottery, textiles, and art glass are just a few of the gorgeous mediums that inspire artists to create.
There are a variety of independent art galleries in Beaufort where you can enjoy viewings and openings.
Get active in the arts!
Beaufort also has three major art organizations that invite you to become involved in acting, performing, buying or selling art, competing in art contests and attending events.
Contact any of these organizations and find out how to cultivate your inner artist:
1. Beaufort Art Association Bay Street – Since its inception in 1957, over 61 years ago, Beaufort Art Association (BAA) has contributed to the visual arts in Beaufort County, South Carolina. As Beaufort developed into one of the most charming artistic communities on the east coast of the United States, the BAA became a regional centerpiece for local artists, art lovers and artisans to support, exhibit and grow their individual talents. Instrumental in offering art classes, workshops and exhibits, BAA welcomes the public to these presentations.
2. USCB Centre For the Arts on the historic Beaufort campus holds a 460-person auditorium, two public art galleries, a ceramics studio, a drawing and painting studio, and a 3D design studio.
As the cultural hub for Beaufort County for over thirty years the USCB CFA has a long-standing tradition of endorsing and supporting the arts, including the following:
- The Chamber Music Series.
- The Beaufort Theater Company, and countless performances of internationally acclaimed performing artists.
- Beaufort Children’s Theater.
- The Met Opera Live in HD.
- Movie Night featuring independent films and documentaries.
- The Pat Conroy Literary Festival.
The 2019 Fall event schedule is available at the USCB Centre For the Arts and features Monty Python’s SPAMALOT. Performances are Sept 21, 22, 27th. Get tickets on their website.
3. ARTworks Community Art Center is a 12,000-square-foot community arts center, theater, and gallery in the Beaufort Town Center located in the heart of historic downtown Beaufort. The Council provides opportunities for artists to create, display, learn, and perform art in all of its cultural and historical diversity.
Explore downtown and see all the galleries
The Beaufort Cultural District is an easy-to-navigate section of downtown where you can enjoy a full array of arts, cultural venues, organizations, and special events.
Enjoy strolling musicians and delicious refreshments at Beaufort’s ArtWalk! This popular event takes place in the spring and fall each year, with visits to over a dozen galleries in the Beaufort Cultural District. The next ArtWalk for 2019 is on October 26th, from 5 – 7:30 PM.
Libraries – the heart of cultural preservation:
The rich culture of the south is exemplified in its literature. Beaufort libraries house a trove of books and films where bookworms and movie buffs can while away the hours.
- Downtown Beaufort Library has an online catalogue of talking books, a cloud library, digital library, and more.
- University of South Carolina Beaufort Library offers books, movies, ebooks, journals and newspapers, and other materials.
- MCCS Library has a full range of library offerings that can be accessed by military families.
History and Architecture:
Beaufort’s Historic District was declared a National Historic Landmark in 1973.
The area is divided into five unique and distinct neighborhoods. Rich with post-civil war history and graced with massive antebellum mansions the town of Beaufort offers hours of viewing pleasure and learning for history buffs – both residents and visitors!
Guides host walking history lessons throughout the Beaufort area, and for those preferring the comfort of wheels, some guides ride along in a horse drawn carriages or an air conditioned van stopping to discuss the history and architecture of the graceful Lowcountry mansions and other architectural treasures.
Lectures, courses, and educational travel offer Beaufort residents the opportunity to stimulate their minds and continue to develop intellectually. The most notable venue for life-long learning in Beaufort is the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute (OLLI), at the University of South Carolina.
Membership in OLLI comes with many benefits some of which include discounted tickets for events at the USCB Centre For the Arts. Their website has a wealth of information and will likely inspire you to sign on for a course or lecture.
There is so much to experience in Beaufort and the best way to enjoy it all is to live here!
Why not start by paying us a visit here at Celadon?
We’ve made it easy for you to come to Beaufort for a few days with our special Discovery Visit. You’ll stay at your choice of three fine hotels or inns and tour the neo traditional community of Celadon, an award winning planned community just minutes from downtown Beaufort.
To find out more about this $299 per couple opportunity and to explore what Celadon has to offer, go to our website here.
We sincerely look forward to seeing you soon and to showing you around this beautiful coastal town and Beaufort’s number one address – Celadon!